27th March 2018

Prez Sez


Wow, where did that season go, seems like it was only last week we were setting up for our season launch and here we are at the end of the season! As they say, time flies when you having fun! 


First of all I would like to personally thank all the volunteers that have helped out across the season, we are a community club and without the help of volunteers we do not exist! 


A special congratulations goes out to Steve Franklin who this year won the Peter "Turk" Turnley Award this year, the work Steve does around the club is amazing and this award is richly deserved! 


As president I give out my Presidents award to the person I feel has gone above and beyond this year, and this years winner was also richly deserved, Mark Patterson is a extremely passionate Blackburn Cricket Club person, his drive and enthusiasm to make this club as good as it can be is amazing, Patto continues to organise the coterie each year and this year he ran our major club raffle both contributing substantially to our bottom line, a truly great club man! 


On the results front, whilst disappointed to not win the under 16A Grand Final last weekend I must commend Turk, his assistant coaches and the players on a great season that just fell short! Remember lads it is not all about the result! 


Planning for next year has already started so make sure you stay tuned to the Facebook page for updates as they occur.

Go Burners!


A word from Club Sponsor, Box Hill Indoor Sports Centre:








Click picture for further details

Friday U12A

Semi Final vs Mitcham

Having finished the season unbeaten and on top of the ladder we had earned the right to host our semi final at Morton Park, and our opponents were the same as our final regular season match, Mitcham.  On a perfect night for cricket Liam did the right thing and won the toss and we elected to bowl first.


Right from the start all the bowlers did a great job, putting a heap of pressure on their batsmen.  In the first 14 overs we conceded only 23 runs.  Sam picked up the first wicket, with Liam and Ben R then also chiming in wickets.  We finished off with a great run out, Kane to Luke, and they were just 4/60 after 25 overs.


With the bat we again got off to a great start with our openers, Kane (12*) and Sam (16*) both retiring.  Liam smoked a quickfire 19ret including a 6 to mid wicket before Luke was unluckily out for 19.  Ollie and Ben R saw the day out with 15no and 10no, respectively, and we ended the day well on top at 1/106.


On Friday Ben R and Ollie resumed, Tuckles adding 3 before being run out for 13, Ollie retiring on 20.  Lucas got caught for 1 trying to boost runs and Jo was building an innings before being caught for 6.  Arvan played some shots but was caught for 4 whilst Ben S-G settled at the crease for a very solid 12 retired, similarly Jack 5 retired with a cracking 4 behind square.  Ripley missed out on some runs with a duck but Sam and Kane came back from retirement and pushed the run rate, finishing on 26 and 25 respectively.  We had set them a formidable total of 180 to win.


With the ball Arvan opened and struck in the first over combining with Oli for a catch for a wicket maiden.  The next over Tuckles bowled another wicket and rattled Mitcham, ending with figures of 2/11 of 4 overs.  Arvan had them in all sorts the next over with Kane taking a catch at gully to have them 7/64, Arvan's figures 2/14 off 4 overs.  Their tail end hung in there until Ben S-G took a catch off Liam, who's spinners returned 1/10 off 4 with a maiden.  Oli took the next wicket, bowled, to end with figures of 1/8 off 2.5 overs and from there the match was almost deemed over from Mitcham.  After some conjecture a retired batsman returned and off the first ball trying to run 2 was dismissed by a great piece of fielding from Sam to keeper Luke to end the match and seal our place in the Grand Final with Mitcham all out for 96.


The rest of the bowling figures were as follows:

Luke 0/2 off 2

Jack 0/9 off 4

Lucas 0/2 off 3 with 2 maidens

Kane 0/4 off 2

Ripley 0/10 off 3

Jo 0/4 off 2

Sam 1/7 off 3

Ben S-G 0/10 off 5 

Grand Final vs Bulleen Templestowe


Blackburn 108 def by Bulleen Templestowe 7/110.  After being undefeated for the year the boys were disappointed to not secure the premiership but they played the game out to the very last ball.


Wednesday night Bulleen Templestowe opened with the bat and were positive early being 0/22 off 5 overs.  Sam bowled the first wicket at 1/26 and then opportunities were put down which proved costly. Joe Rogers then took a catch off the bowling of Arvan to have them 2/48.   The pressure mounted when a great piece of fielding from Lucas Tovey to combine with keeper Luke Fryer for a run out and they were 3/51 off 15 overs.  Scoring then dried up over the next few overs and Ripley bowled a wicket late with Bulleen Templestowe finishing their 25 overs at 4/73.


With the bat Sam and Kane put on 27 before Kane was dismissed for only the second time this season for 8 runs, Sam going on to retire for 5.  Shortly after Liam was out for 1 and Oli 3 and we were 3/37. Luke and Ben Sidon-Gluyas (15 runs and match top scorer) put some runs on before both retiring, with Lucas and Arvan at the crease at the close of play.  Blackburn 3/74 had the mental advantage with an extra wicket in hand and a run up their sleeve.


Friday night we returned to bat with the instructions to up the run rate and put pressure on Bulleen Temp.  Unfortunately, things did not go to as planned losing Lucas (6 runs) to be 4/82 and then Arvan (7 runs) 5/82.  Joe Rogers was unlucky with a duck for us to be 6/85.  Ben “Tuckles” Rusmir looked solid with 12 but was caught and bowled 7/101 only for Ripley to do the same immediately after for 3 to be 8/101.  Sam came back in to bat adding a couple of runs but holed out for 11.  Luke returned to end up 14 not out as Jack was bowled for a duck.  We were all out for 108 with a slender lead of 35 to defend but they also had 7 or so of our overs.


With the ball we were switched on and very tight in our bowling and fielding.  The first 10 runs were scored behind the bat with Oli unluckily watching 3 nicks go between keeper and slip.  Kane and Liam bowled tight spells and there was plenty of chirp in the field.  At this point Ben R took catch of the year off the bowling of Liam (who had a couple of chances dropped Wednesday night), from a skied ball “Tuckles” fielding in front of square leg, ran behind the umpire and dived catching the ball mid air just off the deck and securing the ball.  It was inspirational, not long after Kane had one nicking to Luke behind and then then they combined again for a very astute stumping from Luke for Bulleen Temp to be 6/88.  Alas the return of their opener with plenty of overs to spare allowed them to overtake us at 7/110.


The summary of the final bowling figures were:

Oli           - 0/12 off 5

Rip          - 1/9 off 5, 2 maidens

Lucas     - 0/9 off 4

Sam       - 1/8 off 3

Arvan    - 1/10 off 3

Liam       - 1/9 off 5, 2 maidens

Kane      - 2/10 off 5, 1 maiden

Ben S-G- 0/11 off 3

Jack        - 0/10 off 4

Jo            - 0/10 off 2.4

Ben R    - 0/5 off 2


Pictured below is the team at the end of the match, great to see all of the boys stay around until late as a team.





A word from Club Sponsor, 7-11:



Its thirsty work out there!  Get to your nearest 7-11 for a well earned Slurpee.  Good Call!​

Saturday U12

Semi Final vs Heatherdale-Glen Waverley

Coming off the back of a solid victory against Vermont in the last round of the regular season, Blackburn were rewarded with a home semi-final match against Heatherdale-Glen Waverley (HGW).  With the full team available, Blackburn were confident of putting in a good performance at Morton Park and after winning the toss and putting HGW in to bat meant it was off to the right start.


In a complete team performance that was probably the best for the season, Blackburn kept the scoring rate low and the wickets falling.  Some excellent line and length bowling meant that 12 of Blackburn's 13 bowlers conceded 5 runs or less in each of their 2 over spells.  Just as impressive were the 4 wickets bowled, 4 wickets from some excellent catching and 2 run outs from good throws coming in from the outfield (one of which was a direct hit by Chris Egglestone).  HGW struggled to put a good score up with only one of their batsmen getting above 5 and were all out in the 25th over for 48 runs.  Izaan Imran took 2 wickets (both bowled), with Ripley Pritchard, Clinton Saunders, Jack Vickers, Campbell Ashby, Marcus Healey and Chris Eggleston all single wicket takers.


With HGW all out, Blackburn had plenty of overs available over two days if needs be to reach the required 49 for victory.  They certainly didn't need them and made fast work of getting to the required total at the end of the 9th over for the loss of one wicket.  They batted for another 4 overs for a bit more practice, and finished up on 1 for 60 after 13 overs.  Best for Blackburn were Ben Rusmir 22 (rtno), Jack Vickers 15 (rtno) and Chris Eggleston on 10.


The result justified Blackburn's 2nd place on the ladder and go into the Grand Final with some optimism of getting the job done there as well.


Grand Final vs Bulleen-Templestowe

After a resounding victory over Heatherdale-Glen Waverley in the semi-final, Blackburn felt they were in with a bit of a chance of beating the undefeated Bulleen-Templestowe (BTCC) team in the Grand Final.  The full team was available again but knew they would need to get off to a good start with either bat or ball to put some pressure on BTCC.


On Day 1, BTCC won the toss and put Blackburn in to bat and the nice dry conditions meant the speed of the outfield rewarded good shots.  However the desire to get off too a good start led to an errant shot in the first over and Blackburn were one down without putting a run on the board.  Some solid batting followed by Jack Vickers and Ben Rusmir (whom both retired not-out after their initial 30 deliveries) and Blackburn slowly progressed the score to 27 in the 10th over before the 2nd wicket fell.  Unfortunately three more quick wickets fell and Blackburn were in big trouble at 5 for 30.  An excellent partnership between Mitchell Saunders and Ripley Pritchard followed and they too retired not-out after their 30 deliveries.  However, three more quick wickets fell and Blackburn ended up on 6 for 67 after their first 25 overs.


With BTCC having such a strong batting line up, Blackburn would need to bowl and field to their absolute best.  They managed to secure an early wicket via a direct hit run-out thrown in by Ashton Sampson.  However it was nearly another 100 runs later before Blackburn got their next wicket and a win was becoming increasingly unlikely.  So at the end of Day 1 BTCC held a commanding 71 run lead and only 2 wickets down.  There were a few too many leg side and shorter deliveries which made it all too easy for BTCC to score runs at a rapid rate and a number of difficult but catchable chances were also missed throughout the innings.


On Day 2, BTCC kept up the scoring rate, but Blackburn despite being well down, kept up a positive attitude and really encouraged each other to stay focused.  This resulted in good line and length bowling and much tidier fielding.  To the players credit, they took 6 wickets in this period but BTCC still ended up with a daunting score of 8 for 238 after their 50 overs.  The Blackburn wicket takers were Jack Vickers with 2 and singles to Clinton Saunders, Mitchell Saunders and Ben Rusmir.


Just like Day 1, Blackburn lost a wicket in the first over and two more followed quickly after, leaving the team on 9 for 67.  However, with Jack Vickers and Ben Rusmir able to return to the crease, they took the score up to a respectable figure of 94 before the 10th wicket fell and the game was all over.  Best for Blackburn were Ben Rusmir (24 no), Ripley Pritchard (19

rtno) and Jack Vickers (18) who was unfortunate to be caught off the last ball of the day.


So the upset wasn't achieved, but considering how far all the players have developed their skills and knowledge of the game since game 1 of the season they should be very proud of making it to the grand final game.

Saturday U14A

Semi Final vs Mitcham

We got smashed... end of story.

Saturday U16

Semi Final vs Mitcham

After losing the toss we were sent in to bat.  Z. Hazeldine opened the bowling with J. Arnberger.  The pressure was on early and our fielders were throwing themselves at the ball and M. Rowe made a few very nice sliding and diving stops to keep the batsmen waiting to score.  The pair of them started off bowling quite well and then Arnberger got the breakthrough wicket with their opener chasing a wide one caught by wicketkeeper J. Davidson.  We then had them 1/8.  A few more overs went by before L. Conole struck with a wicket again caught behind by Davidson. 


B. Hammond bowled in good areas to cause a bit of confusion with the batsmen.  They went into tea 2/54.  M. Scutella then bowled a few overs in the middle and create chances, as he has all season, and hitting the right spot as per usual.  A few overs in after tea and J. Lindsey who had been hitting the spot caused an attacking shot from a frustrated batsmen and he hit it straight up in the air caught by B. Sandells.  Soon after we saw the back of one of their batsmen after a direct hit run out from S. Franklin.  Then Lindsey got the ball moving a mile and took out leg-stump.  We then had them 5/78 and on the ropes.  After a few overs of not getting a wicket and not many runs being scored they took quite a risky single on one of the best throws of the ball in the team Davidson who direct hit the stumps after a fumble.  Some solid fielding by L. Fox stopped a few 4’s.   Hazeldine then came back onto bowl and claimed the next 2 wickets having them 8/121 before they fought hard to end the day on 8/147.


After everyone had a good night’s sleep we rocked up to the ground in force ready to make our target of 148 to get the win.  We got off to a great start being 0/45 before Captain N. Crawford got stumped on 24.  B. Rodgers then joined J. Arnberger at the crease, soon after this Arnberger was run out on 13.  This put us in a bit of a nervous stage as B. Sandells joined Rodgers at the crease as we were 2/56.  After they both got us through to tea Sandells fell around 5-10 overs after tea on 16.  Sandells and Rodgers had a handy partnership of 35 to put us at 3/91.  Hazeldine then joined Rodgers at the crease and produced some quick power hitting before he fell on 22 putting the team on 4/134 after a very handy 43 run partnership.  As we needed 14 to win M. Rowe joined Rodgers at the crease and then these 2 got us over the line with Rodgers bringing up the win with a 4 and then a 2 the next ball to get himself a very well deserved 50* after batting sensationally all day.  We ended up winning in 42 overs with the final score being Mitcham 8/147 and Blackburn 4/153. 


This puts us into the Grand Final and we are playing Heatherdale.  Last time we met them we lost by 9 runs so it is expected to be a thrilling game.

Ben Sandells


Grand Final vs Heatherdale

Well after a full season of ups and downs, it came down to this one match against arch foes, Heatherdale at East Burwood reserve. Full preparations by the coaching staff and players had been completed, with no stone left unturned.  "Goose" Lindsay had even made a special reconnaissance trip to the ground the day prior just to check the lay of the land. 

Strange weather greeted the team on Day one and it was very overcast, and the hot, blustery humid conditions made playing cricket tricky. Losing the toss, we were still pretty pleased that Heatherdale chose to bat.  

But weather conditions soon changed.  It is quite bizarre to suffer from heat stroke and hypothermia on the same day, but that is Melbourne weather for you they reckon.

The feathers got off to a solid start, with their openers putting on some quick runs.  Clever batting kept the scoreboard ticking over, with no real chances offered up, until the 17th over when Sandells took a sharpish catch off Conole to have their opener out.

Hammond followed this up in the next over by enticing the feathers gun bat, Heron, to hit long and high, only to be well caught in the deep by sub fielder Adam Hugo for a duck.  A terrific spell of tight bowling and smart fielding restricted Heatherdale's run rate.  Conole rattled the woodwork of the other opener, and by tea, they were 3/81, with the game wide open.

Badly shaken the feathers nonetheless consolidated after tea and then to their credit pushed on.  Slow but steady batting kept the run rate moving, but then the feathers cut loose, with some power hitting.  Wickets fell late in the innings as Heatherdale tried to increase their score.  One was to a terrific catch by Rowe, who caught the ball low and fast off the bowling of Hazeldine.  Hazeldine then followed up with a catch of his own off the bowling of Arnberger, and then had Page caught behind by Sandells.  At stumps Day 1, Heatherdale finished at 4/178.

Day 2 - Another odd weather day greeted us on Day 2.  It started as a muggy warm day, but storm clouds were already threatening on the horizon.  Crawford got us off to to an immediate start with an ominous shot to the boundary, which had the feathers scurrying around.


It didn't last long though, as he soon fell to a lightning bolt delivery which clean bowled him for 6.  Arnberger soon followed him to the sheds, and we were 2/8.

Sandells and Rogers steadied the ship though and with patient and timing kept the scoreboard ticking over.  Sandells was soon caught though for 4, and Hassall joined Rogers in the middle, where they guided the total to 3/61 at tea.  

Heatherdale had tightened the screws on the scoring, runs were hard to come by and the pressure was mounting.  Hassall smacked a certain boundary everyone thought, only to be caught in a remarkable display of athleticism, one handed, running with the flight of the ball.  Things were starting to look grim.

The middle order quickly came and went without troubling the scorers, and Rogers was running out of partners.  Then, prayers were answered, the heavens opened and play was stopped at 7/100 in the 37th over, with Hammond and Rogers at the crease.  Further fervent prayer was sought for rains to be prominent on the reserve day, hence gifting a drawn grand final to the boys, but it was not to be.

Rogers was dismissed first ball of day 3 for a fantastic 64, and Franklin and Lindsay were soon on the bench with him, and it was all over, the dream had ended.

Nonetheless a fantastic effort by the boys to make the Final in the first place, and bring the junior careers of many them to a close.  Here's hoping we continue to see them around the club for years to come.